Getting Acquanited + Campus Philly

Greetings Templonians, Templers, Templepeople, Templekidz! If you’re new here, then welcome to the City of Brotherly Love, and sorry about all of the construction around Gladfelter/Cecil B. If you’re not, then welcome back, and let’s celebrate how cool those color-changing lights look inside of McGonigle.

I’m Julie, a senior Media Studies/Psychology student at Temple. I’ve been writing for the GenEd site for a year, focusing on the cool stuff that’s featured in the PEX Pass. My job is great because I basically get paid to do what I’d do anyway … which is, explore this wonderfully diverse city and encourage people to do the same. In the past I’ve reported on such cultural events and institutions as the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Laurel Hill Cemetery, multiple plays at Temple as well as Center City, and something awesome called StorySlam. Coming up this semester I’ll visit the Magic Gardens of South Street and certainly see more plays. (Theatre nerd.)

First, though, I’d like to give you an introduction to what could be your own introduction to the city’s cultural life: Campus Philly College Day. Campus Philly – “Where students meet their Philadelphia” – is an organization that hosts events and offers resources in order to help college students experience the best of Philadelphia so that they’ll want to hang out after graduating. Its website has links to internship and job openings, tips about navigating the public trans systems, and a calendar full of the best of what’s going on. It also puts out an all-encompassing booklet called “Insider Guide to Philadelphia” which you can pick up at Temple’s TECH and Welcome Centers, with breakdowns of each of Philly’s visit-friendly neighborhoods.

College Day is Campus Philly’s main event and is happening this year on September 29 from 10am to 4pm on the Ben Franklin Parkway. It will feature free museum entry to anyone with a student ID, an art village, food trucks, live music from an as-yet-unannounced band (a few years ago they had Against Me!) and tons more. Check back to its site as the day gets closer for updates.

Here’s to a great start to the school year with the funnest and Phillyest of times!

Bookmark the permalink.