THE PROVOST’S AWARD for TEACHING EXCELLENCE in GENERAL EDUCATION
Deadline for Submission: Friday, January 27, 2017
The Provost’s Award for Teaching Excellence in General Education (GenEd) recognizes excellence in GenEd course development and teaching. One award will be made available each year, and the winner will receive a certificate and a monetary award of $5,000.
The Provost’s Award for Teaching Excellence in GenEd is open to all full‐time university faculty who have taught a GenEd course in the 2016 calendar year and meet the criteria stated below. No faculty member may receive this award more than once every five years.
Criteria and Nomination Procedures
Nominees for the award are expected to meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Significant participation in the development of a GenEd course, or the evolution and refinement of an existing course to more adequately meet GenEd goals;
- Evidence of continuous effort to create and implement engaging, student-centered strategies designed to promote the achievement of GenEd goals; and/or
- Integration of Philadelphia’s rich cultural landscape into the GenEd classroom.
The GenEd program contains required, desirable and area specific goals. A candidate need not provide evidence related to all of these, but may focus on providing evidence of teaching that effectively addresses one goal, or a select number of goals.
Individuals may nominate themselves or others. Candidates not selected for the award may nominate or be nominated in subsequent years.
Please submit all materials in electronic form to Dana Dawson at email@example.com by the deadline. Where possible, save items as pdf’s and collate into one complete document. Where a faculty member has taught more than one GenEd course over the relevant calendar year, it is permissible to address and provide examples from more than one course.
The nomination packet should include:
- A letter of nomination that speaks to each of the criteria above;
- A statement of support from the faculty member’s department chair or program director;
- The nominee’s curriculum vitae;
- A statement of the nominee’s teaching philosophy; and
- Other documents and materials having direct bearing on the nominee’s GenEd teaching achievements. Such materials may include evidence of the evolution of assignments, items demonstrating the use of strategies learned at conferences, in the literature on how students learn, or through the Center for the Advancement of Teaching, or assessments of assignments or in-class activities.
Recommended Optional Items
- Testimonials and/or letters of recommendation from past or current students, alumni or colleagues. Such letters should be sent directly to Dana Dawson at firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
January – Nomination packets submitted
February – GenEd Executive Committee reviews materials
March – recipients notified and decisions made public
For more information
Director, GenEd, Istvan Varkonyi – email@example.com
Associate Director, GenEd, Dana Dawson – firstname.lastname@example.org
To access a pdf of this call for applications: 2017-Provosts-Award-for-Teaching-Excellence-in-General-Education.